Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 13:: Ordinary

Five Minute Friday

Today for my 31 Days post I am linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday.  As you can see, I'm a little behind in my posting. I am currently sitting in Panama City Beach Florida listening to the waves crash on the shore. It has been an eventful trip thus far and I will share details with you soon, but for now, I wanted to take a minute or five and talk with you about 'Ordinary'.

If you are unfamiliar with Lisa-Jo Baker, I invite you to cruise on over to her blog and check it out. Every Friday she will give you a one word writing prompt. Take five minutes and write, free, unedited, straight from the heart. A beautiful time to just write for the love of writing.

Here is my five minutes on 'Ordinary'.

Go::


If you ask my seven-year-old daughter Madelyn what she wants to be when she grows up, after many ideas in a long list of possibilities, she always adds at the end, 'or just an ordinary mom'.

Honestly, the first time she said it, I was kind of.... offended. I mean the word 'ordinary' just sounds so.... plain.

But I asked her what an 'ordinary mom' does. According to her, an ordinary Mom takes good care of her children. She does the grocery shopping and makes sure her children have everything they need. She makes dinners and fixes lunches and does laundry. She makes sure her kids are save and she gives the best hugs and kisses.

After her explanation, I felt honored. Not too often do we as moms get recognition for all of the 'ordinary' tasks we do each day.

I've washed thousands of loads of laundry since joining the ranks of motherhood, made more meals than I can count. I've given kisses to fix boo-boos and broken hearts and just because. I work and provide and come home to work some more.

And not very often am I affirmed or thanked or seemed appreciated.

But guess what moms? They know who takes care of them. They see the sacrifices made. And even though they don't always voice their appreciation, these ordinary, everyday tasks you do are important to them. It is these little acts of sacrifice that make you the mom you are. And there is nothing ordinary about that.

Stop::

I promise to you that I will make up for the days I have missed for 31 Days of Hope for the Single Mom.

In the meantime, head on over to Lisa-Jo Baker's spot on the internet and check out some of the other five minute Friday entries. I'm sure you will be blessed.

No comments: